Sunday, July 12, 2009

What don’t you do? – Part 1 –

Most people repeat.

This is my way of describing a certain type of idea that is often said until it becomes a cliché, “can’t teach an old dog new tricks”, “be yourself”, “bla bla bla don’t change because that makes it easier for me to label you”…or something like that.

But, the truth is “you” are not and can never be “yourself”. That’s right, I said that paradoxical sentence, “you can never be yourself”. Everything in this universe is in a constant state of change. If it wasn’t in a constant state of change we would have stagnation and for all intents and purposes everything would cease.

However, we do not have universal stagnation. Even you, the individual, are never the same as you were 5 seconds ago. Because of this you can never be yourself…”you” are always changing. There will not be a single cell in your body that was the same as it was 7 years ago. In 7 years, you will replace half the friends you have now with a new set of friends.

So, at best, “you” are an ever changing process. At worst, “you” are repetitive. This repetitive nature occurs through thought and action. Perhaps you do this on a large scale, “I’m a clown”, “I’m an athlete”, “I’m an actress”. Or perhaps you do this on a smaller specific scale, “I’m not the type of person to eat the last piece of chicken”, “I don’t speak argumentatively with other people”, “I don’t touch other people in public”, etc.

Most people grow into a habit and unless acted upon, remain comfortable in their habit.

And through improv…and real life…there can be ways to break these repetitive habits. Let’s explore this idea of breaking habits and evolving in next week’s portion of the article.


Till next time, stay sexy Rochester.
Lister

No comments: